May 07, 2007

[ Maid of Honour: The Chronicles ]

When my husband and I got married, we opted for a small ceremony and reception. Some may think we are simple people, but on the contraire, we are just funky and down to earth, not to say that people who choose to have a larger reception are not, but a smaller reception, was just what we saw fit for us. About a year and a half ago I was picked to be my sister's maid of honour. I must say, up until a few months ago, there was nothing I had actually done for the wedding. Being a graphic designer I did the invitations of course and all the rest of the literature, including dinner menus, cocktail menus, programmes, seating arrangements, etc. The countdown began a week before the wedding when my sister and I moved. We split. She moved into her new home and I moved away to my parents house until my trip following the wedding.

Sunday:
Lunch at the groom's parents home.
Midnight trip to the airport to pick up aunt from abroad.
Fall asleep on mattress on the floor.

Monday:
Drive 400Kms to parents house with aunt.
Try to catch my breath and say hi to everyone

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday:
Clean, cook, entertain, set up computers and scan 1000 baby pictures, prepare and get ready for the next day.

Friday:
The fun begins!
Get up!
5:00AM to clean up the guest rooms, finish the menus and the slide show.

8:00AM travel to airpot to pick up cousins,
10:00AM go shopping for whatever is missing for reception
1:00PM pick up dad and rush home to wait for the rest of the bridesmaids.
2:00PM run to get a quick lunch with bridesmaids
3:00PM nails get done
6:00PM rehersal
8:00PM rehersal dinner (run around like a chicken without a head to make sure everyone is ok)
11:00PM go home to finish cocktail menus and send to print.
4:00AM printing done and picked up.

Saturday:
The fun really begins!
7:00AM Wake up at the yelling of mother asking for something or another after spending 3 hours on a couch trying to sleep because someone else fell asleep on my bed.
8:00AM hair is done, try to finish slide show, but interrupted to feed house guests.
9:00AM try to do make up and get dressed
10:00AM co-ordinate aunts' hair updo's
11:00AM dressed and ready for photographer to come in to take pictures
12:30PM start jumping in the cars to go to church
12:50PM we are ready. We are at the front of the church, we look good, we know whats going on, and the bride looks stunning.
12:55PM one bridesmaids dress rips.
12:56PM someone tells me the printing has gone missing and the priest doesn't know some of the words.
1:00PM ceremony starts
2:00PM everything goes smoothly and the bride and groom get married
2:30PM taking pictures begins, I get lost in the bathroom with broken zipper bridesmaid
4:00PM we arrive back at parents house and I take off to seamstress to fix the zipper
6:00PM after running around tryint to find zipper and getting it fixed I rush back home to change.
6:05PM We are on our way to the reception
7:00PM After getting lost again on our way, we arrive late, they rush us into the back room to make an entrance and while we are there I realize I forgot my speech at home. Great. But it is OK I remember it. And before dinner I can re-write it, after all the best-man is doing the toast and my speech goes after dinner.
7:30pm Bride asks me to do my speech, (before dinner) but haven't had time to re-write it. I go on anyway. What I remember, and how it feels and so the speech happens very naturally.
After we do the toast, we have dinner, then I find out we have some issues with the slide show, everything goes on and on.

9:00PM the Bride and Groom do their first dance as husband and wife, and all that has happened up until this point seems worth all the running around.

And you ask: Would I do it all over again? You bet!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home