September 12, 2007

[ Whatever you do, do it in style! ]


...an unfinished thought.

A rant.


Why do people feel the need to label others by the way they look or dress, religion or politics?

Why do I have to like anything specific because of the way I dress, what I eat or listen to?

What if I want to be a hippie, a professional, a writer, a drifter, a singer, a cook, a wife, an executive, an artist, a kid, and yet not be labeled anything?


What if tomorrow I want to go listen to hip-hop or reggae?


What if I like to rock it, yet I love dancing salsa?


What is this obsession to define and group people into a one particular genre of anything?


And what if I disagree with capitalism and I abhor communism?


The essence of a human being is his individuality, the whole concept of being able to choose and change your mind as he pleases.

The death of personality, of individuality is lack of originality and the following of trends dictated by anyone.
So, I beg of you, do not label, misjudge or pre-judge anyone, not until you have gotten to know them, and whatever it is you do or choose to do, do in whatever style you want.

Confused you say? Self-identity issues? Perhaps. Or, it just maybe that I just get fed up of living in a society that labels me, you, everyone and orders what we can eat, what we can watch and why not, pretty soon what we think, if we let them.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why do people feel the need to label others by the way they look or dress, religion or politics?"

Because they're raised that way. Or not raised. Most couples have children with no real idea of what to do with them. How will they grow up? Where will they live? What will they do? When both parents work away from home, they don't have enough attention left over for the kids. So they give them over to schools and entertainments and games, along with money to spend. The teenage market in the US is absolutely enormous. Kids are a powerful economic force here. But they're still kids and don't really know anything. The information they get, which is mostly from seductive advertising, only encourages childish behavior and bratty attitudes.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger {imaginativa} said...

The post was not intended to blame anyone, but make people aware of their behaviour, in case they have fallen prey to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home