October 25, 2007

[ The identity race ]

Who do you identify yourself with? In advertising, for many years the ideal colour of beauty was blonde and blue eyed. As time went by, beauty had brown hair and lately darker tones of hair and skin. Now, we have the human race on ads all around.

Veer has a gorgeous collection of images called SOMOS FAMILIA which features latin people doing all kinds of activities. Latinamericans come in all colors, we are an interesting hybrid of all nations that were here, and the ones that migrated here form other continents. There are a lot of the image bank images that show tanned characters, who are ready to cater to the latin consumers in north america. It is very usual to have people of all ethnicities in advertising in Canada and the US, to identify and target different markets.

What I´ve written is to be celebrated by all. Now, I have nothing against beauty of any color, shape or form, but here in Venezuela where I am doing some design work, my clients and employer insist on using "nice, clean blond looking people" to advertise all kinds of products.

This concept bothers me. Why not include all the skin colors?Venezuela has all kinds of races unified all throughout the county?

I am not sure nor happy with the blonde models,(nothing personal) but what I am sure of is, I will sneak in a bit of anti-racism into everyone of my ads as long as I can.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home