October 28, 2008

[ Ford Venezuela ]


In Venezuela, or at least in Valencia, you hardly ever see any type of social awareness campaigns, but there is one that caught my eye. It is called SENOS AYUDA (senos meaning breasts or do us and ayuda means help.) I applauded the iniciative and participated in donating through text messaging. But Ford´s campaign aid to Breast Cancer did let me down.

Ford presented a campaign and decided to use the naked female form and use it as a landscape with an SUV. (nipples and all) Now, John Neff in autoblog.com celebrated the Ford campaign; however I have to disagree with John. There is one thing right with the campaign, and that is that it supports breast cancer awareness but there are so many things wrong with it that I am almost insulted.I dare to say that a man designed the ads. As a woman they have no appeal to me. In fact one of my male co-workers was "you know laughing and telling the other guys about the boobies on the back of the sunday news" that made me noticed it.

In my humble opinion and without wanting to sound like a prude, the images are too sexual for the message. The model´s hand positions are too distracting for the message, and in reality more appealing to men. I´ve disscussed the usage of SUV with others, but I do believe that more than a vehicle that is a status definer in Venezuela therefore women are attracted to it. But the true message get lost along the laughing and the shock. This is a campaign that in my opinion has gone wrong and only stimulates men rather than its target, women. The ads fail to make me want to go through the bothersome mamogram, but it has created what it meant to create: awareness. Though it does not call to action. (except maybe get your a car and run it through your wive´s or gf´s body?)

Now, I just wish that there were more women in the higher decision making positions in advertising here that targeted and reached women for the right reasons.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home