June 20, 2007

[ a quest called... ]

...food.

In Venezuela, getting most things are a quest. I don´t know if it is because I am new here OR because the lack of certain food items in stores (due to price control put in place by the current government)

In search for a hamburger, yes a burger, with ketchup and mustard. All burgers here have white cheese and ham besides the beef patty and miniature potato chips. After asking in about 4 establishments, I found a fairly good burger down the street from our apartment. (the quest does not include american food chains such as mcdonald´s, wendy´s nor burger king)

Canned and frozen food is expensive here. Fresh is cheaper. I have yet to find red-kidney beans for my chili.

I am told there is a white-sugar shortage. I use splenda, therefore I haven´t noticed. But I will check. On the other hand I have found good, cheap beer and really good pizza near by, in a place where my husband and I have become regulars.

There is no american-style coffee here. Nowhere. I will check in Caracas when we visit. There is some amazing coffee to brew it cappuccino or latte style, this is southamerica, after all. The icing on the cake has been, for me, being able to find Cerelac at a fair price, so it has become my breakfast of choice.

Everything is shifting, even my eating habits. Eating arepas and other venezuelan classics is quite delectable. Quesillo is marvellous. My kitchen has become a canadian-salvadorean-and whatever is available menu. A full culture exploration, an adaptation and a beautiful invention.

1 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger τέλσον said...

I think we need to keep looking for a flight & hotel...

yiou make it sound amazing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home