July 12, 2007

[ Huge ]

For the first time in my life I feel fat. There I said it, but not just fat, HUUGE! After living in Canada for more than half my life, now in Venezuela my body mass or at least the way I perceived it has increased. It´s not that there isn´t anyone here bigger or taller than me here, it´s the perception everyone has here of what is physically beautiful or attractive. The pressure women have to be thin (sexy) a way of life. It is a bit over the top. (just a bit) And the way people voice their opinion, it is there in your face.


Most men, for the most part don´t complain here, still they don´t drool over a girl in a tiny tank top and Daisy Duke shorts, that is an everyday occurrance here. And if there is no skin showing, you are simply not looked at. Not to say that everyone dresses skanky, but women do dress in a less demure fashion than other women in other places I´ve lived before. What I honestly don´t understand, is how they keep their body temperature down with tight jeans and boots as high as their knees on? Well, it may be the tiny tops. These women come in all colours and ages, and some of them look amazing, some look cheap. It´s a matter of taste and self-presentation.

I may sound bitter, too old and yes, too fat, but the truth is that my own self-image accounts for more than how much I weigh. But how I choose to dress, carry myself, treat others and think.
After I have lived here for a longer time, I hope, I will get past the ordinary and concentratre on the extraordinary. For now though as I absorb this society, try to understand it, I happily bounce around in good ol´chubby self, learning and adapting and if anyone ever mentions the way I look, I calmly tell them: Dude, look the other way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home