February 29, 2008

[ To be or not to be...]

...a pana that is.

I´ve been in Venezuela for over six months now and I have had a rough time with it, but I am proud to say that I have learnt quite a few tricks to everyday life now. One key word to get by in Venezuela is to be a pana, word that means friend, buddy and that many claim comes from the english word partner. (pronounced in a southern accent)

When you live in a country where the government does not provide proper health care, education is declining (I recently found out that math classes are not considered a subject buy a workshop) and the road conditions are an insult to any vehicle, the population becomes curt, impatient and even rude. Anyone would be surprised, after the description I made, to find the shinning heart of Venezuelans and their understanding of being a pana. I believe this pana ideal comes with the little words, people here use everyday. It is common to be called beautiful, love, doll or panita (small female pana) at a store, at the office, wherever. And when you do use the words, people seem to treat you nicer, and many times you may even get things done. (wow)

So I arm myself with patience before I head out to my everyday and remember to smile and call everyone with loving words, and to do things de pana and to be a pana.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Robert said...

How are things brewing down there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home